Currently, whole world is suffering due to the COVID-19, pandemic. This virus spreads through respiratory transmission, aerosol transmission or contact transmission. The contact transmission can be prevented by the regular and effective hand hygiene. It can be achieved either by hand washing with soap-water or using alcohol-based hand rub.
We understood that most of the people cannot afford to buy the hand rub from the local market due to its cost. Therefore, Allied Health Sciences Students’ Union has planned to produce hand rub under the guidance of academic staff from the Faculty of Allied Health Sciences using the WHO guidelines (2009) at low price considering the social responsibility at this crucial time.
Hand rub preparation committee was formed to regularize the process of manufacturing and distribution of hand rub on 15th May 2020. This committee includes staff and students representatives.
- Mrs. Deivy Thabotharan (Dean/ FAHS, Patron)
- Dr. (Mrs). Sivasinthujah Srikokulan (Senior Lecturer in Pharmacy)
- Mrs.Thevaki John Gnanakarunyan (Head, Senior Lecturer in MLS)
- Mr.Sinnadurai Thuvaragan (Senior Treasurer, Students union, Senior Lecturer in Pharmacy)
- Ms. T. Kalpana (Technical officer, MLS)
- Mr.S.Sasikaran (Lab Assistant, MLS)
- Mr.S.Jeyakumar (Union President, 3rd year, Pharmacy)
- Mr.B.Steban (Union Secretary, 3rd year, Pharmacy)
- Ms.Narmadha (Union Junior Treasure, 3rd year, Pharmacy)
- Ms.Y.Losana (4th year, MLS)
- Mr.K. Prasanth (4th year, MLS)
- Ms.V. Balayasothini (1st year, MLS)
- Ms. B. Kajanthini (1st year, MLS)
- Ms. V. Gowthami (1st year, MLS)
Hand rub preparation process was started with the approval of Competent Authority, University of Jaffna. The quality (chemical and microbial analysis) of the hand rub was tested at the faculty level and it was sent the Industrial Technology Institute (ITI), Sri Lanka (recommended Government laboratory–as at 2020-05-12) to get the external analysis report. Finally, NMRA provided with a Temporary approval for the manufacture of hand rub and this approval has been given due to this pandemic situation and valid only for three months from the date of issue.