Description of Course:
The Medical Laboratory Science (MLS) programme is a four year degree programme comprising of eight semesters. Each year has two semesters, semester I and II. Each semester has 15 weeks of academic work and three weeks for examinations. MLS follows credit based course unit system, one theory/ tutorial credit is equal to 15 hours and one practical credit is equal to 30 hours. The UAHS awards the B. Sc. (Honours) in Medical Laboratory Sciences degree, for those who successfully earn the total 120 credits and get at least 2.0 GPA for examinations.
Intended Learning Outcomes
At the completion of the study programme, the Medical Laboratory Sciences graduates should be able to:
• be disciplined and honest in supporting the delivery of quality health care to the community.
• possess the knowledge, skills and attitude towards the development of Medical Laboratory Sciences
• be able to implement and monitor quality laboratory procedures and principles of management and ensure proper safety in the laboratory.
• dedicate himself / herself for the welfare of the patient.
• be able to keep proper records and maintain confidentiality.
• exhibit good professional conduct and develop interpersonal communicative skills with patients and other health care professionals and public.
• follow ethical and moral attitudes and principles which are essential for a healthcare worker.
• be motivated to continue education to develop and maintain professional competency.
• be able to carry out research projects in Biomedical sciences.
The students obtain the laboratory training at the MLS Laboratory, laboratories in the various departments of FM, clinical laboratories at THJ and Base hospital Tellipallai. Further to this students get trainings in the Genetic laboratory, FM, University of Colombo.
Undergraduate research is considered as one of the requirements (10 credits) for the successful completion of MLS degree programme. The research is conducted individually and it has been included in the curriculum in the final year of the study programme.
On successful completion of B. Sc. (Hons.) in MLS study programme, the graduates are capable of developing their career locally and internationally in clinical as well as administrative fields such as:
• Medical Laboratory Scientists
• Medical Laboratory Technologist
• Clinical Scientist
• Quality Control Officer
• Clinic Manager/Administrator
• Emergency Medical Services Coordinator
• Financial Manager/Planner Group Practice Administrator
• Hazardous Waste Coordinator
• Health Care Administrator
• Health Insurance Administrator
• Health Policy Analyst
• Health Promotion Coordinator
• Hospital Personnel Director Hospital
• Quality Assurance Coordinator Infection Control Office